Conference on theoretical foundations of library and Information SCIENCE (LIS) which will be held in about May 2011 in Tehran by NALI (Iranian National Library) , Faculty of LIS of University of Tehran and Iranian scientific association of LIS
1-The identity of LIS
- LIS; from service-oriented profession to research-oriented discipline"
-Descriptive and normative aspects of LIS
-The role of LIS in interdisciplinary researches
-Knowledge and information in LIS
2- "theory-making" in LIS
-Relationship between theory and methods
- components of theory or phases of theory-making in LIS research"
- status of theoretical models in LIS research
- competing theories in relevance, retrieval, INFORMATION seeking BEHAVIOR, and so on.
3- LIS and informatology and philosophy of information
-Paradigms and informatology
- LIS as applied philosophy of information
-Philosophy of information from Islamic and Western viewpoints (e.g. any scholar’s view may be discussed)
4- LIS and methodological pluralism
- Quantitative and qualitative methods
- alternative methodologies such as; grounded theory, discourse analysis. narrative research, etc.
5- meta theories (theoretical approaches) in LIS
- postmodernism (including poststructuralism, deconstruction, discourse analysis, etc.)
- critical realism
- critical theory" (e.g. Frankfurt School)")
- Multicultural information ethics
- Information ethics from Islamic perspective
- information ethics and theories of normative ethics (consequence-based theories, duty-based theories, right-based theories, virtue-based theories)"
- Normative schools of ethics in LIS (functionalism, right based ethics …)
- Information ethics and meta ethics.
8- Challenges in LIS
- LIS definitions and critics about naming, roots, and its level of priority
- LIS: a discipline or an interdiscipline?
- Basic Islamic /Persian concepts in LIS
- Citations and its origin in Islamic traditions: Ilm –al Hadith, Ilm al - rijal, and Ilm- kalam
- LIS academic education
9-LIS and classification of knowledge
- Classification and epistemology
- The impact of classification of knowledge in knowledge expansion and development
- Classification and interrelation and inclusion of science
The aim and objectives of this conference is to find new and positive standpoints for LIS as a discipline.
Papers/Abstracts Submissions and Invited Sessions Proposals: December 17th, 2010
Authors Notifications: February 7th, 2011
Camera-ready, full papers: February 22nd, 2011
Technical keynote speakers will also be selected from early submissions because this
selection requires an additional evaluation according to the quality of the paper,
assessed by its reviewers, the authors' CV and the paper's topic.
Submissions for *Face-to-Face* or for *Virtual* Participation are both accepted.
Both kinds of submissions will have the same reviewing process and the accepted
papers will be included in the same proceedings.
All Submitted papers/abstracts will go through three reviewing processes: (1)
double-blind (at least three reviewers), (2) non-blind, and (3) participative peer
reviews. Authors of accepted papers who registered in the conference can have access
to the evaluations and possible feedback provided by the reviewers who recommended
the acceptance of their papers/abstracts, so they can accordingly improve the final
version of their papers.
Pre-Conference and Post-conference Virtual sessions (via electronic forums) will be
held for each session included in the conference program.
Registration fees of an effective invited session organizer will be waived according
to the policy described in the web page (click on 'Invited Session', then on
'Benefits for the Organizers of Invited Sessions').
Authors of the best 10%-20% of the papers presented at the conference (included
those virtually presented) will be invited to adapt their papers for their
publication in the Journal of documentation or JASIST or the like, their translations after the author permissions will be published in Iranian scientific journals.
ICTPLIS 2011 Organizing Committees
If you wish to be removed from this mailing list, please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.orgICTPLISconferences.org with REMOVE MLCONFERENCES in the subject line.
Address: Tehran. National Library and Archive. Iran.